- Max Fashion launches exclusive Indian wear this Durga Puja
- Amar Canvas’s Meet Up Program at Siliguri Brings Opportunity to the Remote Artists
- Lions Club of Siliguri – Dignity Distributes ‘Upaahar Dry Ration’ before Pujas
- Foundation of Earthen Stadium at Hantapara TG Laid at Alipurduar
- Vishal Jhanjharia Elected as the New President of MCCI Kolkata
By Arunangshu Maitra (TNI Falakata) | TNI Editing Siliguri
Webdesk, TNI Falakata, 24th August, 2017: Today Falakata – Sonapur (Coochbehar) NH 31 was kept under road blockade by the Nagorik Manch (Citizen’s Forum). According to the agitators, the blockade was done in protest of blank assurances of the administration to initiate the across-river (Sil Torsa River) transportation. The wooden bridge over Sil Torsa river was washed away on 11th August 2017 due to the floods.
It led the stoppage of transportation across river creating problems for thousands of residents at Patlakhawa Village, Salkumarhaat, East Kathalbari etc. On the other hand, the highhandedness of the syndicate by boat transportation has increased. The people charged at least Rs. 25-30 for bike and Rs. 10 for people. The administration introduced two boats but those were far from enough. The Nagorik Manch protested against those and also submitted a deputation the BDO earlier. The BDO assured to giving more boats for the transportation. However, those were not available till date hence the agitation. Later on the Falakata IC Mr. Binod Gazmere assured the protesters to lift off the blockade and assured proper solution on behalf of the administration. The agitators later lifted off the agitation.
Photos: Arunangshu Maitra (TNI)