- Sahitya Akadami Award recipient Launches Book at Siliguri
- Model Youth Parliament Conducted at Siliguri by Young Indians
- Siliguri Tax Advocates Bar Association’s Rally for Demand of Social Security to Lawyers
- Major Nisheet Dogra Buried Under 6ft Snow at Sikkim, Dies at Bengdubi
- Lakme India Fashion Week Witnessed a Bunch of Bollywood Stars in the Ramp
By Arunangshu Maitra (TNI Falakata) | TNI Editing Siliguri
Webdesk, TNI Falakata, 24th August, 2017: Today Falakata – Sonapur (Coochbehar) NH 31 was kept under road blockade by the Nagorik Manch (Citizen’s Forum). According to the agitators, the blockade was done in protest of blank assurances of the administration to initiate the across-river (Sil Torsa River) transportation. The wooden bridge over Sil Torsa river was washed away on 11th August 2017 due to the floods.
It led the stoppage of transportation across river creating problems for thousands of residents at Patlakhawa Village, Salkumarhaat, East Kathalbari etc. On the other hand, the highhandedness of the syndicate by boat transportation has increased. The people charged at least Rs. 25-30 for bike and Rs. 10 for people. The administration introduced two boats but those were far from enough. The Nagorik Manch protested against those and also submitted a deputation the BDO earlier. The BDO assured to giving more boats for the transportation. However, those were not available till date hence the agitation. Later on the Falakata IC Mr. Binod Gazmere assured the protesters to lift off the blockade and assured proper solution on behalf of the administration. The agitators later lifted off the agitation.
Photos: Arunangshu Maitra (TNI)